The school based youth health nurse works with students, teachers and the school community, across the junior secondary and secondary schools, to promote and meet individual student and school community health and wellbeing needs.
Support may include:
- Promotion of health and wellbeing
- Provision of information and resources to students and staff
- Assisting teachers with curriculum development in matters general health issues and health promotion
- Assisting students with mental health and wellbeing issues
- Helping students manage relationships
- Supporting students in areas relating to: drugs; alcohol and smoking; sexual health; growth and development; general health; nutrition and physical activity.
- Coordinates the School Immunisations Program. For information please visit the Gold Coast School Based nurse Health website.
External Support Services
The Youth Health Nurse can support students and families to connect with external services and support groups.
The Queensland Health website has a detailed directory of support services and groups, for which youth and families can connect with if they are needing assistance.
View the directory.