Homestay is a cultural exchange between a local individual or family (called a Homestay Provider) and a visiting international student. The student lives as a guest in the home.
Homestay gives visiting students the best opportunity to practice their English conversation skills in everyday life, while ensuring safe accommodation and a caring home environment.
Visiting students often develop lasting friendships with their Australian host families.
Our Homestay Coordinator visits every home and family. As she does this, she asks herself the question 'Would I place my child in this home?’ We conduct ongoing quarterly reviews of the hosting experience for both family and guest.
What you can expect from your Homestay family
- Host families are carefully selected from within the school and local community and are always asked to provide a caring and nurturing environment for our International students.
- All adults over the age of 18 residing at the homestay are required to have a valid suitability card; the school can assist with this no-cost application.
- Host families are required to attend an orientation session where they will receive comprehensive information to ensure the student has a fulfilling homestay experience and that they are familiar with all EQI requirements.
- Host families provide visiting students with full board, including three nutritious meals a day and snacks.
- Host families provide assistance to access appropriate transport to and from school and related school activities.
- Students are responsible for all costs of transportation to and from school and extra-curricular activities.
- Students will have their own individual bedroom with study facilities.
- Students may be placed in a homestay with a student from a different nationality.
- Families receive a fortnightly payment through the school to provide the necessary accommodation and meal requirements. This amount is reviewed annually and set by EQI.
Interested in becoming a homestay family?
If you live locally and are interested in hosting an international student with your family for either short term or long term stays while they study at UCSC, please contact Charlene Thomas via email (email@example.com) or contact us.